I purchased this antique dresser and washstand two summers ago (you know back when we still thought getting pregnant would be easy). We paid a local gal to refinish the washstand for our living room, but decided to DIY the dresser to save on cost and add our love into the project.
Last summer, I removed the mirror, wheels and handles. Then, I stripped and sanded it. Now, it was finally time to finish it for our baby boy’s room.
As recommended by our friendly Home Depot paint specialist, we used two coats of stain blocking primer, followed by two coats of Behr Marquee Paint. We thought that we might get away with one coat of paint, but the imperfect finish of the dresser required more coverage. We ended up using 3/4 of a quart.
After much deliberation, we chose the colour National Anthem by Behr. Whenever we have a paint colour choice to make, we hang swatches on the wall in multiple locations (i.e. bright spot, dark corner). We take a few days to view the colour(s) in multiple lighting scenarios (i.e. cloudy, sunny, early morning, late evening, artificial light). When we first started out, we had a rainbow of colours on the wall; although, I was leaning toward a dark purple or navy. I was surprised as our elimination process lead us to such a gender typical blue. In the end, I absolutely love it!
We purchased new gold handles from Home Depot to accent the gold key holes. My husband also did an excellent job of fixing the drawers so they glide smoother.
Here’s a breakdown of the cost:
- Dresser: $75
- Primer & Paint: $50
- New handles: $25
- Total cost: $150
I’m so happy with how this project turned out. It’s my favourite piece for the room so far! ❤