As we all know too well, this fertility journey can be unpredictable.
We had our 1st monitoring appointment at the clinic today. Turns out, I’m responding VERY well to the drugs. I expected the opposite since my AMH count showed I was low fertility and therefore considered as diminished ovarian reserve. I wish I had said more as I had a hunch I would stimulate better than they expected.
My follicle count is 29 – 18 on the left, 11 on the right.
The downside is my estrogen is WAY TOO HIGH and rapidly increasing.
On CD1, I started out with an estradiol count of 183.
On CD6 (Monday), my estradiol was 3703.
On CD8 (today), my estradiol is 5980.
This puts me at high risk of Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome (OHSS). The clinic has advised that we do a freeze all cycle and return in 2 months for a FET.
Although this is disappointing, I know that my health and safety is not worth the risk of transferring (even with a CD8 lining of 9.6 mm).
I’m still praying for a miracle (meaning rapidly declining estrogen levels). Since that’s highly unlikely, we are just hoping for a successful retrieval with a few high grade, beautiful embryos on ice awaiting our return.
I’m going back tomorrow morning for another blood test and ultrasound. My RE thinks the retrieval will be Sunday.
Right now, my biggest side effects are bloat, swollen ovaries and slow walking due to swollen ovaries. I’m still getting tired easily if I do too much. My husband is pretty adamant that I take care of myself (meaning I’m not getting many opportunities to go shopping. haha) I’m actually feeling really emotionally stable. This taking things one step at a time is really helping.
As much as we received some unexpected news today, I am still grateful that we have a good chance at quite a few eggs.
I’m also grateful for:
- Gluten-free chocolate cupcakes – a must-have after today’s news. MMMMMmmmmmm good
- The dog park beside the ocean at the end of our street which my husband drives me to
- Maxi dresses to hide the bloat
For those of you who have been through similar scenarios:
- What do you recommend to prepare for retrieval?
- Is there anything I can do now to decrease my chances of OHSS?
- What other advice do you have about OHSS?