I have a love/hate relationship with Facebook.
Things I love about Facebook:
- Seeing my friends and families updates – especially since my loved ones are spread out across Canada and the US.
- The motivational messages that people post.
- Information about upcoming events
- Finding out about new stores or services that relate to my interests (yes, I’m one of those wierdos who loves targeted marketing)
Things I hate about Facebook:
- The never-ending pregnancy announcements
- Ultrasounds as profile pics
- Countdowns til baby arrives
- People who post photos of their kids just for the sake of posting photos of their kids. Typically in these photos, the kids aren’t engaging in any sort of cute activity and the photo is blurry and/or lacks any sort of photography skill
I have decided that the pros outweigh the cons. I’m not willing to delete my Facebook account, but I really do think someone needs to build an app to allow you to omit certain images/posts from your feedback based on keyword. I work in software development. Why haven’t I gotten a friend to code this up for me?
Today, for the first time, I delete a Facebook friend due to a prego announcement.
Well, alright, she wasn’t EXACTLY a friend. She was a woman who used to work as a waitress near my husband’s home town. I’ve ran into her a few times. I know her in-laws, especially her mother-in-law as we used to sit on a Board together. Anyway…
Her announcement said something along the lines of: Well so much for that… I’m pregnant.
This woman has 3 kids between two baby-daddies, and her youngest are both under the age of 3. Obviously this post peaked my interest. You’ve got to be kidding me! SHE’S PREGNANT AGAIN?
Well it turned out, IT WAS A JOKE! For real? Who the fuck jokes about being pregnant on Facebook?
I guess it was one of those games where if you comment on your friend’s status, they give you something false and provocative to put as yours. Lame.
Anyway, I didn’t even think twice. I unfriended her immediately.
Crazy, insensitive fertiles. *headshake*